History of the Round House Center
The Round House Center is an approximate 64,400 square foot brick and block structure with concrete floors, situated on approximately four acres of land. The original structure was built in 1905 by the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad (the name was later changed to the Burlington Northern Railroad) as a round house and adjacent office space. The round house portion is two story, and was used to store and repair steam locomotives. The single story element was and continues to be used as office space, break rooms, shops, and general storage areas.
In the 1950's, the property was converted to a farm implement store and operated as such for nearly ten years, until Jefferson Smurfit (formerly Alton Box) purchased the property and converted it into a manufacturing plant. Jefferson Smurfit later built a new facility in Beardstown's industrial park and panned on moving to this plant by July 1997.
New Owners of the Round House Center are
John & Alecia (Lish) Crowe November, 2009!
Their plan was to open the Round House as an event center, but before the doors could open to the public, demolitions, adding a new roof, securing the building with windows, and doors were necessary, followed up with making sure everything was safe inside and outside the structure.
Future events would include hosting flea markets, swap meets, craft shows, trade shows, hobby shows, auctions, and more 1-2 times a month, with a goal of bringing out Beardstown vendors and out-of-town buyers while also allowing Cass County and the surrounding area merchants a chance to promote their services or products. John and Alecia's dream is becoming a reality.